April 18, 2008

Ah, Well...

Today, I'm happy to remember my dear friend, Hilda.

(This was Halloween when I was the devil and she was a cat.)

Isn't she fantastic?

(This is Hilda with her friend, Stella who will be 100 years old in September.)

I met Hilda in Seattle and knew the first time I saw her that we'd be friends. And I was right!

(This was New Year's Day at the Mobley's.)

It was so fun to be Hilda's friend. She was amazing. A Holocaust Survivor, a member of the French Resistance, a speaker of many languages, an avid reader, a fashionista...
She would always stick her cheek out for me to kiss before I left.
She critiqued my outfit daily.
She hated the food in the nursing home.
She loved tea and cookies at three o'clock and Millionaire at four.
She always read with "light from the left."
She got frustrated with me and my tries at speaking German.
She told me that I was lucky because I was pretty and smart (who wouldn't love that!)
She tied a little cape around her neck before she combed her hair.
She took walks on the balcony everyday and had a little scarf she wore so her hair wouldn't blow.
She traveled the world.
She did NOT like drinking water, but she loved ginger ale...
She didn't know why we had belly buttons.
So many memories... I could go on and on and on about her.

Funny, the things we remember about each other...

(Here Harriet, Stella and Hilda enjoyed an afternoon at Stella's apartment right on the water.)

So, today it makes me happy to remember her. I'm surprised that already three years have passed since she's been gone - and I can't believe it's only been three years. I certainly miss her.

Ah well... Still, so happy.

5 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

Oh, Hilda. We love you!

Anonymous said...

I bet that Hilda was smokin' back in the day...way back, but way smokin'
-Noah

yoyis said...

so lucky to know people like that. Thanks for sharing.
Aurora

Lani said...

Hi Amy! I just found your blog! Yay! It makes me smile! Hooray for happiness!

Stacey said...

Yeah I just remembered I'm coming to see you very soon!!! I'm so excited!