May 19, 2008

You Win! Charlie, You Win!

Run, do not walk, to see Prince Caspian - the new Narnia movie. Then, come over to my house, bring your Book of Mormon and let's seriously chat!!!

I loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

Nothing makes me happier than drawing Gospel Parallels in movies (and the Golden Girls. Not Gospel Parallels in the Golden Girls, just the Golden Girls.) Some of my favorite parallels are (and this list is definitely not comprehensive and very Lewis/Tolkien focused due to my recent viewing activities):

4. Lord of the Rings - all three - come on, you know you loved when Gandalf showed up all in white after the three days. And the spirits helping them from the "mountain" - um Temple reference anyone??? so many more...

3. Narnia. Edmund. The Crucifixion. The Resurrection. Mary and Martha. (PS - check out Sister Beck's AWESOME talk from BYU Women's Conf! Amazing teaching about the Relief Society and the Reorganization of the Church and Christ's organizing of the Church and the Relief Society in His day too! So happy!)

2. Prince Caspian. You can practically see Captain Moroni waving the Title of Liberty in the background. The giant goat/monster that holds the gate open so all the good guys can be saved and then he dies saving them. Aslan. Following the Spirit. The importance of becoming like a child. Leaving one world to come to another -- so beautiful and makes me want to go back and be with Aslan so badly. And even the trees obeying -- I think we're less than the dust of the earth because the dust always obeys and we just don't. The White Witch wanting a body so badly. I can't wait to go see it again.

1. The ultimate. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The old one. Charlie's told he loses the prize because he didn't follow the rules... He gives Willie Wonka his heart -- in the form of an everlasting gobstopper and Charlie inherits the whole kingdom! And he gets to live there with his family. Beautiful. So beautiful.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and see the premiere of Indiana Jones -- I actually won tickets on the radio! Isn't that funny? I didn't know the answer to the title of the song those lyrics came from, but the DJ apparently felt sorry for me or something well, more like the song was almost up and no one knew the answer - so he tried to give me hints and when I still didn't get it he was like, "Look - I need a winner. So when we go back on the air - just say, "You sang to me by Mark Anthony!" So I did and I got the tickets! So happy.

So - the point is... Tomorrow when I go to the movie I'll see if there are any Gospel Parallels.

Which can you think of?

Seeing everything testify of Truth (For Aslan!) makes me So Happy!

6 comments:

Stacey said...

hahahaha

Thats so awesome!

I'm so excited to see the new Naria movie. You make it sound so awesome!

cherlyn and family said...

that is really neat that you are going to see Indiana Jones Moive.
We miss you too and can't wait to see you soon.

LynnEl Springer said...

I need to get to the movies more often!! I will definitely put this one and Indiana Jones on my list! And then come over with my Book of Mormon!!! :)

Joe and Joanne said...

Haven't seen it yet, but have heard nothing but excellent reviews.
I think I watch the LOTR series at least once a quarter. They say Tolkien didn't intend to imply any religious or political lines to his books. What?! For someone that didn't intend to do that, he did it quite well - I must agree. You've got me excited now to head to the theatre!

Amanda said...

Um...must say I was disappointed with Indiana Jones. How about you?

Amy said...

So disappointed with Indiana Jones. It seems to be all about expectations really. Mine were too high. Could be a theme in my life. No Gospel Parallels. Just aliens. Who would've guessed??? Crazy. I guess those were the times then - but wasn't what I was hoping for. Oh well. Maybe there are some hard to find Gospel Parallels here -- I'll search and see... but nothing jumps out like Narnia!! At least the music is great though!