February 1, 2010

June Roses and January Raspberries

So I got a June Rose on January 19th!!
(Or rather a January Raspberry.) It was so so exciting!

I was working, very diligently, I am certain, when my co-worker called me to get up and "Come and Look!" I figured she was going to show me some guy she thought was cute
so I got up with a "Really, Brenda?" look on my face...
When what to my wondering eyes should appear???


President Monson came to the hospital to visit a patient! (No, it wasn't a widow. But it was a man to whom President Monson had been Bishop so many years ago.) It was so so exciting. Everyone was excited. All work pretty much stopped while he was here because we didn't want to miss the chance to shake his hand when he left. And when he left, he stopped and shook our hands and spoke with us and was so so kind. A son of another patient stopped President Monson and asked him to come in and visit his father and President Monson said, "Well, I'd love to say a word to your father." So kind.
It changed the whole day. Really.
I kept thinking, if this were the time of Nephi, he'd be Nephi! If this were Alma's era, he'd be Alma! So exciting. And the truth is - He is Christ's representative on the earth... You could feel that while he was here. I wished a little that it had been Jesus here, but President Monson was really dang close. (Should I use dang in the same paragraph with Jesus and President Monson?)
I'm so grateful for the Prophet. I'm so grateful that he showed up to my work. I wanted so badly to just run to him and say, "Everything will be fine right? Could you just tell me what Heavenly Father wants for me right now?" And then I realized that is exactly what he tells us every six months in General Conference. And through the Spirit we can know those things for ourselves all the days in between those blessed 4 days out of the year.
C'mon. So lucky. So blessed. So happy.

5 comments:

Denise said...

wowsers! GREAT day for you! I can imagine....

Love to read your blog...you express yourself so beautifully! Glad you were at work today and got that wonderful experience!

Patti said...

Oh, Amy! I'm so happy you got to see him! I have little tears in my eyes from your post. Wonderful write-up. Great experience. Awesome for you!!!!!

Stacey said...

Wow! I just want to re-read this over and over again. I love that picture of him and you can just feel his spirit coming through your blog post! I love it! I love what you said about it being like Nephi or Alma-it's so, so true! That is just SO awesome! I'm so glad to have the gospel!!! I'm so happy that you got to see him!!! Makes me so happy!

LynnEl Springer said...

How many people, seriously, ever even get to see the Prophet? Not many...really. And to get to shake his hand and actually speak to him for even a second, how blessed you are...soooooooooooo blessed. Heavenly Father loves you so much to bless you to have Pres. Monson walk into your life that day and smile at you - just as Jesus would have if he could have! You are indeed a choice daughter of God and He wanted you to know He was thinking of YOU too, that day! You are so blessed.

P.S. my word verification is "fount" come on! And I'm not sure you can use 'dang' in the same SENTENCE as Jesus and Pres. Monson!!

Megan said...

SO exciting! That is awesome! I love that you thought about asking him to answer your questions for you, when you're right that he answers them all at Conference. That is so wonderful! What an awesome experience!