January 27, 2010

We've Proved Him In Days That Are Past

I'm in love with this quote from President Hinckley:

"From where we speak, it is a beautiful April Sabbath morning. The tulips are well out of the ground and will soon be bursting into flowering beauty. In the winter of our doubt there came the hope of spring. We knew it would come. Such was our faith, based on the experiences of earlier years. And so it is with matters of the spirit and soul. As each man or woman walks the way of life there come dark seasons of doubt, of discouragement, of disillusionment. In such circumstances, a few see ahead by the light of faith, but many stumble along in the darkness and even become lost. My call to you this morning is a call to faith, that faith which is “the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (Heb. 11:1), as Paul described it."

I am looking forward to Spring. I know it's coming. It has never not come. Every year, without fail, trees and flowers blossom, snow melts and life grows all around. Every year.

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there within me lay an invincible summer" (Albert Camus).

"So it is with matters of the spirit and soul." Heavenly Father always answers my prayers. He always has. He always will. I've proved Him in days that are past. I don't have to keep proving... I know He's there. He's unchanging. His characteristics are unchanging. His patience and kindness don't run out. He doesn't go away. His love never fails. His forgiveness blossoms anew every time I kneel in the spring of repentance.

"For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee." (Isaiah 54:10) That's true. I know it. I've proved it in days that are past. And I know that if I forget (which we all do at times) that He'll be patient and help me remember and love me patiently every second as I stumble along the way. He has given me the iron rod to cling to for stability. Stability and safety and security, guidance, balance, and reassurance.

I'm a Springer. And that makes me, especially in the wintertime, So Happy.

9 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

And I'm a Springer too! So happy for you and for me! I'm glad to have you as my daughter! I was just thinking this very morning, that I don't think Fall is my favorite season anymore, too much sadness and death, but instead Spring, brings life, new life, and color and happiness. I love you! Thanks for writing what I was thinking even today! The Lord loves a coincidence!

Megan said...

Oh dear sweet Amy! You are always so positive. I love you!

Patti said...

Glad to see your post today. Thanks for the uplifting comments. I miss Pres. Hinckley. Do you think we will ever stop missing him?

Janelle Johnson said...

I copied that quote and put it in a place where I can see it. Thanks for sharing.

link2literacy said...

I STILL have so much to do, and I'm feeling um - frazzled. And then I saw that Amy posted an entry on her blog. As I read the cheerful message, I felt the frazzl-ness fade slowly away. Thank you for bringing cheer into my night.

Renae

Lisa Henderson said...

Thank you Amy. You probably were not aware that you were answering someone who was silently praying for an answer.

Paige said...

It is good to see you back and posting. Thank you for posting this. That will definitely help me this week!

Susan B said...

Amy, I love that you are a Springer. A SPRINGer. One who springs. Both in the sense of the season--and it's renewal--and in the sense of springing forward. Or springing back (renewed) to, well, to a state of spring. Who knew your name was sooo cool? Oh, and maybe we could say something too about Amy. About aim. About focusing forward, on the goal, on the target, on the coming spring. Perfect.
--Susan
aka nerdy word person who newly loves your name.

Amy said...

Wow! Thanks everybody! And Happy February! Spring is one month closer! Yay!