March 24, 2009

How Do You Say Happy Birthday In German?

Well -- Happy Birthday to Hilda today.

She would be 96. Isn't that amazing?

I miss her a lot.

It's amazing to me that one person can mean so much to you in such a short time. But she did.

You can read some happy memories of her here...

I remember just two days before she died we were talking about death.

She said, "When I die, you can be happy. It's what I want. I'm ready."
I told her, "I will be happy because I believe you'll be with your family again."
She said, "Ach (waving her hand in front of her face). I don't believe that."
I said, "Well, one of us is wrong and one of us is right and I think you're going to be very surprised."

She laughed with me.

I used to dream about her occasionally but not anymore.

I hope that even though she's busy somewhere she remembers me.

Did you ever know someone that you were absolutely sure you knew before you came to earth?

It was like that with Hilda. I think she was the whole reason I went to Seattle.

There were other wonderful things for me there - but she was the real reason.

I'm pretty sure Ryn got to meet her already.
Lots of times I'll tell Heavenly Father to tell them both Hello and I miss them.
I'm sure they get the message.
It'll be so good to see her again someday.
Thinking about the miracle of Hilda makes me miss her and at the same time,
So Happy.

3 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

I remember talking to her on the telephone, calling her for her birthday at your request, and generally just chatting - she wanted so much for me to be able to come out to see her, but I never got to. What a big difference you made in her life. I bet she wishes you had come along to be her friend so much sooner! I'm glad you got to be with her those few short years, and that you now get to be friends with and change the life of her stepdaughter! I know that Ryn went to find her and that they are friends now too! You are such a perfect and wonderful influence on so many people's lives! I love you!

LizzyP said...

I'm so glad that you have her and that she has you. What a blessing it is to have relationships with elderly friends.

cherlyn and family said...

I love having elderly friends. I hope you are doing well.